Wednesday, June 20, 2018
Services in Clayton
The Department of Public Works has the responsibility for operating, maintaining, repairing, testing, and monitoring the wastewater collection system.
The Town provides sewer services to about 1,100 customers utilizing a drive-by remote read metering system and an in-house billing process. Maintenance is fully provided by Town employees.
The current monthly sewer rates are as follows:
||first 2,000 gallons
||each additional 1,000 gallons
The Department of Public Works is responsible for the following tasks:
- Operates, maintains, and repairs eight (8) pumping stations.
- Contracts with Kent County for wastewater treatment.
- Maintains and repairs approximately 10 miles of wastewater collection system.
- Maintains and repairs appproximately 1,000 wastewater laterals in right-of-way.
- Operates one-half of 24-hour on-call service.
- Operates one-half of "Miss Utility" locate service.
- Assists in snow removal.
Long-term capital requirements are addressed through the annual capital budget with financing from developer contributions, use of system reserves, long-term debt, and general impact fees. System maintenance, including emergency response, is handled by Town staff with specific services from outside contractors with expertise as needed.
Sewer infrastructure in new developments is paid for 100% by the developer and installed by contractors working for the developer pursuant to Town standards. Sewer infrastructure within developments, if acceptable, is transferred to the Town after completion.