Sunday, November 19, 2017
Toy Safety Tips
- Before shopping for toys, consider the child’s age, interest, and skill level.
- When shopping, read labels. Look for well-made toys and follow age and safety information on the warning labels.
- Keep toys with small parts away from children under age 3. They can choke on small toys and toy parts.
- Carefully read instructions for the assembly and use of toys.
- Always remove and discard all packaging from a toy before giving it to a baby or a small child.
- Supervise children when they play and set good examples of safe play. A toy intended for an older child may be dangerous in the hands of a younger child.
- Remind caregivers, including grandparents, of play-related safety concerns.
- Separate and store toys by age levels. Teach children to put toys away after playing. Safe storage prevents falls and other injuries.
- Check old and new toys regularly for damages such as sharp edges or small parts. Make any repairs immediately or throw away damaged toys.