- Cross the street at the corner or at a crosswalk if there is one, and obey all traffic signals and signs.
- Do not enter the street from between parked cars or behind bushes or shrubs.
- Never run into a street without stopping.
- Darting into the street accounts for the majority of child pedestrian fatalities
- If a toy or pet goes out into the street, ask an adult for help getting it back.
- Hold an adult's hand when you cross the street.
- Look left, right, and left again before you cross and keep looking both ways until you reach the other side.
- Only cross in front of a school bus when the driver says it is safe.
- Do not cross behind the bus or where the driver can't see you.
For more child pedestrian safety questions, contact the Clayton Police Department at (302) 653-8186.